DIY Piñata

3:07 PM


I couldn't believe it when I saw the $20 price tag on a batman piñata at Walmart. There is no way I would pay that much for card board, tissue paper, tape and glue. I'd have to make my own piñata.

You can pretty much make any shape pinata that you want following these directions. Here's how!

SUPPLIES
Large Card Board Box (maybe 2 depending on size and shape you are going for) WARNING: My thick corgated cardboard was really hard for little ones to break open. Next time I will use cardboard like what cereal boxes are made out of. THis will make it easier for the little ones to break open.
Scissors
Pencil
Masking tape
Tissue Paper- Your color choice
Glue
Paper/Decorations
Hanger

HOW TO
Step 1: CUT FRONT
Cut the front shape of your piñata. I cut mine into a large oval.

Step 2: CUT BACK
Outline the front shape of the piñata onto another piece of cardboard, then cut it out to create a second identical shape. This will be the back of the piñata.

Step 3: CUT SIDES
Determine how deep you want your piñata to be and cut long strips at that width. These strips will be the sides of the piñata.



Step 4: CONNECT THE SIDES
Using the masking tape, connect the sides you just cut to the front of the piñata. It will be a platform now. Be sure to leave an gap at the top of the piñata to stuff candy.

Step 5: CONNECT THE BACK
Tape the back of the piñata the other side. You should now have a complete 3D shape.


Step 6: MAKE TISSUE FRINGE
Using your color of choice cut long strips of tissue paper to about 2"-3" tall. Fringe the bottom of the tissue up about 1". Don't go up too high or you will have A LOT more fringing and strips to make since it won't cover as much of the card board. I learned this quickly. I have seen other tutorials that have you fold the top of the tissue over (so you have 2 layers) and then fringe the bottom. I did this at first and found it a waste of tissue paper because it did not look any different. So take my word for it.... 2 " tall, 1" fringe. you will need a lot of these. TO quicken the process, I did layer my tissue paper (no fold) so I would make a ton of strips at once. I also folded them hamburger style so I wouldn't have to cut as many fringes.

Step 7: COVER FRONT AND BACK WITH TISSUE FRINGE.
Glue the fringe to the front of the piñata, starting from the bottom and working your way up. The fringe should cover the top of the lower layer that is not fringed. Cut off what excess hangs off the edge. Continue glueing layers of the strips making sure the cardboard is being covered.


Step 8: COVER THE SIDES WITH TISSUE.
On the sides of the piñata, I started on the very bottom and glued starting with the end of a long strip. I did not cut it off but just folded it over and glued, and kept zig zagging until I needed a new strip. It went super fast.

 Step 9: DECORATE/EMBELLISH
If wanting to make this same Batman Piñata, I made a stencil using one side of the Bat Sign, tracing it on Yellow poster board, and flipping it over to the opposite side and tracing it. Then, just cut it out and glue it on the piñata.

Step 10: STUFF and HANG
For our piñata stuffing we put each kids goodie bag in there with their names on it. This avoids throwing bows and fights when it busts open. Plus, it cut down on candy costs. To hang, we put a pencil in there and tied a string to it. I wish we had of put a metal hanger in there and tied a string on the hook made by closing the loop! The pencil wasn't great because with a couple of hits it tore through and it kept falling off.



I hope this all makes sense. I am still starting out with blogging and I am learning the art of taking pictures a long the way. It's a lot of work! It's a hard process to explain so if you have any questions, let me know in the comments section, I'd love to help and hear about your piñata making experience. Good luck!






You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts